Every now and again, we all need to know how to cook some exceptional sides. Potato salad and slaw have been done so many times that it’s time to try something new.
I prepared this celery salad years ago, and people still rave about it. I really mean it. Most BBQs have a table full of half-empty salad containers at the end, but everytime I prepare this salad, it disappears quickly and I’m always asked what’s in it. If they only understood how easy it is to manufacture.
- Don’t tell people your secrets
- Celery and Parmesan Salad
- How long will it last?
- What to do with leftover celery?
- How to use celery leaves in salad?
- Is celery part of green salad?
- What to eat celery with to lose weight?
- How long does fresh celery last in the fridge?
- What not to mix celery with?
- Why is eating celery at night good for you?
- Can celery be eaten raw in salad?
- What are the three keys to a quality salad?
- How do you make a salad not to be boring?
Don’t tell people your secrets
Okay, I’m violating my own rule here by instructing you not to tell anybody about this recipe, but I’m also freely giving it out.
Keeping people guessing is the best technique, in my opinion. It tastes much more sophisticated than it is for such a basic salad.
It is quite fresh and goes well with fish, steak, and chicken. I’ve even stuffed it into rolls with cold meats for lunch the following day.
The longer you keep this recipe to yourself, the less you’ll have to think of fresh side dishes. It’s when others discover of your recipes that they go and cook them over and over again, and when your next BBQ rolls around, they’re already sick of the same old same, and you’re left with bowls of half-eaten salads.
Celery and Parmesan Salad
This is one of my recipes that demonstrates that you don’t need to overcomplicate things; keep it simple and let the flavors speak for themselves.
You may go to the bottom of this page for the entire list of ingredients, or you can keep reading for some helpful tips and methods that could just get you out of a jam or two.
This salad is a terrific way to start developing some tastes, but you can always add more depth and alter the entire dynamic and taste by adding one or two additional things.
Here are a few other tips:
- If you can’t get lemons, use limes for a more tangy taste.
- Add some onions to the dishes for extra crunch and flavor depth.
- Add a cup of mayonnaise to the mixture to thicken it.
- If you really want to make a statement, combine 1 cup of shredded chicken with the mayo and you’ll be in salad bliss.
How long will it last?
It wasn’t long before celery appeared, followed by wet cheese. In other words, it will be OK for a day or two in the fridge, covered. It is so easy and fast to create that there is no need to make it ahead of time, maybe just before your visitors arrive, so they don’t know what you put into it.
Having said that, I have found that the variation in which I add some mayonnaise to the combination lasts a little longer in the fridge; still, I would not advocate storing any salad for more than a day or two.
Fresh crisp salad is why we create it; limp soggy salad has no appeal and will rapidly remove your BBQ King title, just as fast as overcooking someone’s meat would.
The best part is that you can purchase the salad ingredients ahead of time and they will keep in the fridge for many days.
So cook it on the day, keep it fresh, and there will be no worries.